Friday, April 20, 2018

Golden State Series: Bonelli

On Wednesday the Devo team met up to preride the course, it was my first time riding in Bonelli. The course was a little challenging, with some steep hills and bumpy down hill, but I still was exited for the double race weekend to come. On Saturday I woke we early, ate breakfast, packed my things and left to the race. When we got there we registered and hopped on the trainers. I was sure to keep hydrating because I knew it would be a hot race.

Every cat one girl started together on the starting line, this made it a little tricky figuring out who was in my age group. Mid-way into the first lap I felt my legs start to get in the rhythm of racing and I started to pick up my pace. I could see a girl ahead of me that looked my age, so I set a goal to catch up to her before the end of the first lap. I caught her right before the last decent to the finishing area, and managed to create a gap. It was starting to heat up A LOT going into the second lap. Second lap I felt much more comfortable on the descents and my legs felt better on the climbs. The heat was starting to get to me, but I thought just one more lap. Going to the third lap I switched out my bottle and stared with a good pace on the climb. My legs were starting to get tired, but I saw another girl, so I increased my pace to catch up to her. The rest of the third lap it was a battle between her and I. The second to last steep climb she got in front of me and I started to fall back, but kept in mind that the finish was not even a mile away. Before the last descent to the grass I sprinted to the single track and secured my spot in front of her. The finish was full of many twists and turns, and once the straight away opened up I stood up and sprinted to the finish!

Once I finish it was immediately time to start the recover process for Vail on Saturday. I did my cool down then I went to check the results, and I got 5th place. I was happy with my placement because it was an improvement from the week before. After packing up, we got Chipotle and made our way to Vail for the high school race the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SoCal Race #2: Vail Lake

On Saturday morning Hayley, some of my Yucaipa teammates, and I all pre-road the course to get a feel for it and dial in our lines. I have r...