Monday, February 26, 2018

2018 Lake Perris SoCal Race #1

Going into the weekend I was nervous because this was my first Varsity race, and my first time racing three laps. I got up around 6:30 am to get all ready and drive to the course, I couldn't stop thinking how the race would go and what placement I would get. When I got to my team pit I made sure to relax and rest my legs. The nerves only increased as I watched the young freshmen take off on their race, and knowing it would be me in a couple hours. As I watched some races and sat around time flew by and it was time to warm up. During the warm up the nerves turned in to excitement and then it was time to race.

When I approached the staging area I saw many familiar faces and had some friendly conversations. I did not have a call up, but I got lucky because my number was the first to be called so I got the second row. Standing in the staging area I stretched and tried my best to stay warm. Once we were off  everyone stayed as a pack because no one wanted to lead against the winds, but once we hit the dirt the race was on. The climb was tough trying to draft and keeping in the top pack. We hit the single track downhill and I felt as If I was flying, hardly using my brakes. When we got on the flat fire rode decent I fell back by twenty feet, trying to petal as fast as I could, Then we hit the beach and rushed to try and catch up, by the end of the fist lap I was in sixth place. On the road climb starting the second lap the top pack slowed down and I wondered why, before I knew it the top four sprinted to the dirt. I was not expecting this, so I followed a ways behind trying to catch up. On the climb I was in the fifth position and by myself. Seeing the top four in front of me, I pushed myself to increase my pace, but once I got within ten feet of the pack, they got out of the saddle and sprinted away. Sixth place soon caught up to me and passed me on the beach, she pulled away going in to the final lap and seventh pace caught up to me. The whole third lap was just a battle for sixth and seventh. Once I got to the final sandy turn on the beach I gave it everything I had left in my legs to keep the position and then it came down to a close sprint finish. Finishing in sixth place, I couldn't help but feeling a little disappointed, but I was happy knowing my first Varsity race was in the books and I completed my longest high school race.

This race taught me many things, and how Varsity races are much more than just going race pace. I am exited for what the season holds, and I hope to improve next race. Overall Perris was a great learning experience and I'm grateful that my bike ran so flawlessly. I'm so proud of my teammates and what they have accomplished so far! I am so exited to start off the race season and with Vail so soon, I can't wait to be on the race track again! A huge thank you to Ellsworth bikes, Esi grips, Rudy project, Scicon bags, Kenda Tires, Ride Fast wheels, Ftech, Rynopower, Sidi shoes, Asgsport, Gup, and the Socal devo team.         

No comments:

Post a Comment

SoCal Race #2: Vail Lake

On Saturday morning Hayley, some of my Yucaipa teammates, and I all pre-road the course to get a feel for it and dial in our lines. I have r...