Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Golden State Series: Fontana

Going into the weekend I knew it would not be easy because I would be racing both Saturday and Sunday, but I was exited to challenge myself on my first double race weekend. On Wednesday the Devo team all met up at Fontana to Pre-ride the course, we all did a couple laps and made sure to practice our lines for the more technical parts of the course. The rest of the week leading into the weekend I focused on hydrating and mentally preparing myself for the back to back races ahead. Saturday came quickly and before I knew it I was registering to race my first Cat 1 race! Before this race I had never been to a race outside the SoCal league, except for a couple Over The Humps and a Kenda Cup, so It was all new to me. As the race approached closer it was time to warm up and stage. The start was on lose gravel, so I made sure to pick the right gear to prevent myself from slipping out. once they counted us down it was time to race...

The start was off to a very fast pace making it hard to keep up with the top pack. As we went up the road climb and single track I knew this race would be challenging because of the long climbs and technical down hill, making very little time to recover. On lap one I managed to pass a couple girls on the single track climbs and kept my position on the decent. The downhill was a little intimidating but I remembered to focus and keep on the lines that I practiced on Wednesday. The last little hill on the lap was full of lose rocks, which made it very hard to get up, so I had to run up the hill due to not getting enough momentum and being in too hard of a gear. Going on to my second lap I got a water bottle from the feed zone because the weather was heating up and I did not want to get dehydrated. My second lap I kept the same position and kept up my pace, hoping no one would catch up. It went by very fast and before I knew I was Sprinting to the finish line around the corner. I ended up getting 6th place, which I was not thrilled about, but it was still a very fun and exiting experience. After I did my cool down, it was time to go straight into recovery mode for the race at Keyesville the next day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

SoCal Race #2: Vail Lake

On Saturday morning Hayley, some of my Yucaipa teammates, and I all pre-road the course to get a feel for it and dial in our lines. I have r...